Thursday, February 5, 2009

DUMB IT DOWN

A while ago I wrote an article on depression pills aka The chill pill.

That is only one of the faces of the "dumb it down" aspect of the 2000's. In the 70's we had the hippies which where protesting. In the 80's/90's the black people where fighting for equality.

Today it's 2009 and most of the fight has died in us. We accept all the injustice/oppression / Darkness in the world. Because it's not up to us, it's not our fault.

"I see all this potential, and I see it squandered.
Goddammit, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables, slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.
We're the middle children of history, man; no purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our Great War is a spiritual war. Our Great Depression is our lives.
We've all been raised by television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars. But we won't; and we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

- Tyler Durden - from the movie Fight Club

Well, know that doing even the slightest action to wake people up is better than not doing anything at all. Write / Yell / Draw /Paint do anything but letting your mind stay asleep.
In the world we live in today, the people higher up the "american dream chain" don't want you to get smart and start thinking. They want you to get "dumbed down". Why it is you think they give you all these distractions?
Thousands of sitcoms all day/night long? Videogame consoles, celebrity magazines? They selling us dreams and we're buying.

Now Im not an extremist. I play my videogames and watch crap tv from time to time. But that's not all I do. That isn't what my life will amount to when im on my death bed. I would have liked to say that I LIVED. Yes I lived, fought my battles. Lost some and won some. But I stood up and said "This I can't let pass". And at the end of the day my conscience will be clean.

As a conclusion Id like to post this video by Lupe fiasco. Now I know this looks like all the other "rap" videos out there: Models and thugs. But it is meant that way to show the message he's getting through. Listen to the words. Especially the chorus.

" You've been shedding too much light Lu (Dumb it down)
You make'em wanna do right Lu (Dumb it down)
They're getting self-esteem (Dumb it down)"

No comments:

Post a Comment